Three Situations Where You May Need to Modify a Support Order

As part of the divorce process, the court will establish orders regarding child support, which is the payment made by the noncustodial parent to the custodial parent, intended to support the minor child or children. Courts can also establish spousal support, also known as alimony, when one divorcee needs financial support from the other to make ends meet.

Support orders are made based on the circumstances at the time of the hearing. Once these orders are formally established, both parties are required to follow them, and if they do not, they can be held in contempt of court.

We all know that with time, circumstances change. What is an appropriate support order today might not make much sense in a few years. That is why it is possible to request a modification of a support order. The following are a few situations in which you may need to do this:

1. Increase or decrease in income.

If the person paying the support loses his or her job, they may no longer be able to pay as much child support or spousal support. Meanwhile, if the party receiving the support has a decrease in income, he or she may request more child support or spousal support to make ends meet.

If either party gets a much higher-paying job or comes into a significant inheritance, this could also call for modification of support orders.

2. Increase in expenses.

As children grow older, there are more expenses associated with caring for them. Teens need money for things that elementary schoolers don’t, like braces, fees for extracurricular activities, college application fees, and more. It is possible for a custodial parent to request more child support in proportion to these increased expenses. 

3. More children are born.

If either parent grows his or her family in subsequent relationships, he or she might request a modification of child support payments so that his or her income may be more evenly distributed amongst all of his or her children.
If you are facing any of these circumstances, or other situations where you believe it may be appropriate to request a modification of the support order associated with your divorce, contact the attorneys Haas & Associates, P.A.. We have extensive experience helping clients make these requests and we would love to guide you through the process. Contact us today at (919) 783-9669.