North Carolina divorce law

At Haas & Associates, P.A., we understand that the end of your marriage is a very difficult and stressful time for every member of your family.  We are here to help.  Our experienced divorce lawyers can provide the legal guidance and compassionate support you need to protect your interests—and begin a new future. A divorce attorney can be a big asset for you, to advocate for you during this difficult time.

Raleigh residency requirements and grounds for divorce

The residency requirement for divorce in North Carolina is simple.  Either you or your spouse must be a North Carolina resident for six months before filing for divorce.  In North Carolina, we are a “no-fault” divorce state, which means neither party must be found to be at fault for one party to obtain a divorce from the other.  In North Carolina, a spouse can get a divorce simply by stating in their Divorce Complaint that the couple has been separated—meaning you have lived separate and apart without cohabitation—for at least one year and a day.  There is no need to assign fault for the divorce or to state any reason other than separation for one year and one day.  The divorce can be contested, however, if one of the spouses proves that they were not separated for the required time period.

The other recognized grounds for divorce in North Carolina is incurable insanity or mental illness lasting at least three years.  Whether you or your spouse are filing for divorce, you can resolve the issues raised regarding your marital rights between you and your spouse before and during the separation period with a separation agreement. Click here for more information regarding Separation Agreements.

Contact us at 919-783-9669 today to connect with an experienced marriage divorce lawyer.

Consulting a knowledgeable divorce attorney at the law office of Haas & Associates, P.A. can ensure that your rights are preserved during the divorce process.

Filing for divorce in North Carolina

A court action for divorce begins when you or your spouse files a Complaint for Divorce with the district court.  The divorce papers are served on the other spouse, who has 3o days (60 days, if granted an extension by the court) to respond.  It is important to understand that a divorce only severs the marriage.  It does NOT address the issues of child. custody, child support, alimony, or property distribution.

However, if the issues of spousal support (post-separation support and alimony) are not dealt with prior to the divorce decree being entered by the court, absent exigent circumstances, you will lose your ability to assert your rights for spousal support and/or property distribution.

Help with all divorce-related issues

Our experienced divorce lawyers can help you work out the numerous financial, logistical, and living arrangements of your divorce, including:

Call us to discuss your unique needs and goals.